Apple added multitasking capability on its iPad’s in its iOS 9 update way back in 2015, unfortunately that feature has still not been made available for iPhone’s. They are going to launch iOS 11 on 5th June in California at World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) and there are strong rumors that iPhone users will finally get what they’ve wanted for some time now (let us keep our fingers crossed). Meanwhile iPhone users have some other ways to get the split screen multitasking feature on their iPhone’s.
The different apps available for multitasking can be divided into apps that need a jailbroken phone and apps that don’t.
If you want to use split screen on your iPhone without jailbreaking it then you have handful of apps that offer this feature. Some of them are Mini browser pro, iBrowser Duo and CoSurf. The best and most user friendly and popular app for this purpose is ‘Split Screen Multitasking View for iPhone & iPad’
The app is top ranked iPhone and iPad utility app in 28 countries and is a paid app ($3.99) with latest release dating back to April 26, 2017. Point to be noted is that it’s not exactly a full-fledged multitasking app but a browser that lets you open another social networking site on a split screen. It works both in portrait and landscape mode.
1) Install ‘Split Screen Multitasking View for iPhone & iPad by Vishnu Rao’ from app store.
2) Go to your home screen and run the application.
3) You will get a split screen as shown below. The top half opens your browser and bottom half lets you open any popular social networking sites.
4) In the bottom half click on ‘plugins’ button first then click on ‘social network’.
5) Clicking on ‘social network’ will open Facebook in bottom half of the screen. Swipe left to get twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
6) To get more social network sites that aren’t in the plugins click on the cross button on top corner then on the next page that appears type in the URL that you want to open.
7) The size of both windows can be adjusted by moving the slider that divides the screen into two parts.
Other features available in the app are:-
» Child Lock: To control and limit access to web pages and social networks.
» File Manager: To download and save files or screenshots in the file manager
» Download Manager: Desktop-class download manager
» Split View Management: To resize, maximize, minimize, add, and remove split tabs.
» Extensions: Support for Evernote, 1Password, Translate.
» Support for Left Handed User: Interface for left-hand or right-hand users can be toggled in settings.
» Page shot: Full Page screen capture which turns a full web page into an image which can be viewed in the app or in the Apple Photos app.
Its screen split web browser includes following features:-
– Smart address box.
– Private Browsing.
– Customizable Home Page.
– Parental Controls.
– Maximize, Minimize, Add or Remove a Tab in split screen view.
– Edge-to-edge full-screen.
– Customizable search box
– Bookmark, History, Reading List.
– Ability to save a complete web page as a pdf.
Read Also: How To Jailbreak iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
To get better multitasking experiencing it is better to use apps like Gorgone, Splitify or Multiview. To install these apps you will have to jailbreak your iPhone which will void any warranty your phone has plus jailbreaking is not completely legal in many countries.
1) Open Cydia (jailbreak version of the iOS App Store) and search ‘Gorgone’. You don’t need to add any source as this app is hosted on Bigboss repo so it is added by default.
2) After clicking on Gorgone you will have to click on ‘Install’ on top right hand corner of the screen. Then click on confirm next.
3) In the next step click on ‘Restart springboard’ to restart your iPhone and complete the installation.
4) After installation open settings, then click on ‘Gorgone’ and then click on ‘enable rotation’.
5) Swipe from right side of the display to left to open all the installed apps as shown in the picture below.
6) Click on any app you want to use, it will be opened in the side pane and you can use two apps simultaneously on your screen.
7) To exit multitasking hold the bar in the middle and drag it over to the side to get rid of the split screen.
Some common complaints about Gorgone is its ability to rotate every app on your phone which makes it very undesirable for some apps especially because Gorgone runs a left-right split of the screen instead of up-down, which is more preferable in a phone. Splitify is another app that does the same thing as Gorgone with more controls over rotation- you can enable or disable springboard rotation and lock screen rotation in it. Other alternatives include MultiView from repo.sparkservers.co.uk repository, Multify and Medusa are other good alternatives you can try out.