Microsoft OneDrive is one of the most popular Cloud storage services.On sign-up you are given 15 GB of free space in OneDrive. It allows you to sync your data across Windows 10,Android,OS X and iOS devices.For Windows 10 users,it has a new feature of Selective Sync that allows you to sync only those files that you want to.
Often people add an external hard drive to free up their spaces on their primary drive. When people are running out of space on their primary drive they move data files or folders to an external hard drive. Similarly, Microsoft OneDrive folder and all of it’s contents could be moved to a secondary hard drive or a secondary storage location. Here,I am going to show you How to change the location of the OneDrive Folder in Windows.
- Top 7 iCloud Alternative Services And Features
- Best Mobile Office Apps to View and Edit Documents on Android
- How to Transfer or Sync Files between Android and Mac
- 1 How to Changing the Default Location of the OneDrive Folder
- 2 How to Move OneDrive Folder to External Drive
- 3 How to Configure OneDrive to Sync Only Certain Folders in Windows 10
How to Changing the Default Location of the OneDrive Folder
Change OneDrive Folder Location Windows 7
- Open the Windows 7 system tray and right click the OneDrive icon.Click on the Settings option.
- Next click on the Unlink OneDrive option on the settings OneDrive settings menu as shown below.This option will un-sync the OneDrive services.
- OneDrive Getting started dialog will open.Note: Keep this dialog open.
- The default location is C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive. Now move the OneDrive folder to a new location.
- Once done return to the OneDrive Getting started dialog. If you accidentally closed it or didn’t get it just launch the Microsoft OneDrive application from Windows 7 Start menu.
- Sign In to your Microsoft account to continue.After signing in click on Change option to change the default folder location.
- Select the relocated folder by browsing menu with the File Browsing menu and Click OK.
- Click on Next button to continue setup.
- Because we have changed the location of the old folder OneDrive will ask for a confirmation stating that files already exist in this OneDrive folder.Click on Use this location to proceed.
- Finally choose Sync all files and folder on OneDrive and then click on Next to complete the setup.You can also choose specific folders to sync.Congrats!You have successfully changed the location of OneDrive folder.Since you moved the original folder the sync process should be minimal.
Change OneDrive Folder Location in Windows 8.1
- Open OneDrive folder from the left side of the File Explorer window as shown below.
- Right click and select Properties to open OneDrive Properties or click on Properties option on Home menu.
- Once the OneDrive Properties windows opens,Click on Location option.
- You can see current OneDrive folder location.Click on Move to change the folder location.Browse the new location,select it and click on Select Folder.
- You can see the new OneDrive folder location displayed in the Location tab.
- Press OK to apply the changes.Next you will be asked if you want to move the old folder contents to the new location.Press Yes to do so.
- Wait for your content to be moved to new folder location.
- The default OneDrive location has been changed successfully.
Change OneDrive Folder Location Windows 10
- Open the Windows 10 system tray and right click the OneDrive icon.Click on the Settings option.
- Click on Unlink OneDrive. Don’t worry you won’t lose your old folder content.
- Now open up OneDrive default folder.Move this folder to the new folder location.To do so,follow the steps mentioned before.
- Open OneDrive application and sign-in to your Microsoft or OneDrive account.
- Click on Change option.Select by new folder location by browsing and then press Ok.
- Once done click on Next to complete your setup.
- Because we have changed the location of the old folder OneDrive will ask for a confirmation stating that files already exist in this OneDrive folder.Click on Use this location to go ahead.
How to Move OneDrive Folder to External Drive
Changing the location of the OneDrive folder to an external media or pendrive
You can also change the default location of OneDrive folder to an external storage device or a pendrive. It might be a bit slower but it works.
All you have to do is format your pendrive in NTFS file system and create a new folder named OneDrive so that the content can be moved to this folder.Then follow the steps mentioned above to change the OneDrive folder location successfully.
How to Configure OneDrive to Sync Only Certain Folders in Windows 10
OneDrive is in-built in Windows 10 and you don’t have to install it from any external source.Selective sync allows you to sync only selective folder to your computer.You can sync only those files and folders you want.Let’s take a look at Selective Sync feature.
- Right click on OneDrive icon and click Settings option.
- Select the Choose Folder tab and click on Choose Folder button.
- A window will open where you can choose the folders that you want to sync on your computer.You can also select sub-folders and files that you want to sync selectively.
- Click on Ok button to complete the process.
This feature comes in handy when you are a laptop or tablet user with an SSD. You don’t need a large amount of data piled up in your computer.